Understanding Hair Loss Due To Cancer Treatment
The loss of hair is one of the most common side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. The majority of woman consider it the most emotionally and physically devastaing side effect of cancer treatment.
- Transitions Studio's certified cosmetic therapists understand that they come into your life at a crucial time.
- You will receive exclusive attention and compassion from an experienced professional in a private and tranquil environment.
- Our Hair Loss specialist can individually customize your wig and secure a perfect fit.
You just learned that you will experience temporary hair loss as side effect to your treatment.
Your first consultation at Transition Studio will include:
- An evaluation of your current hair: density, colour, length, texture and style
- Proper measurements and dimensions of your cranium
- Selecting and trying on prostheses (wigs) in your price range
- Discussing the alternatives to wearing a hair prosethesis: sleep cap, turban, scarf, hat, etc.
- Obtaining answers to all your questions and concerns
2 to 3 weeks after your first treatment your hair will begin to shed.
At your second visit to Transitions Studio you will:
- Receive your transitional hair cut
- Receive your new prosthesis, which will be custom fitted and styled to your personal needs.
- Learn how to tie and style turbans and scarves
- Learn how to care for you hair prosthesis and how to take care and protect your irritated and sensitive scalp at home
In order to soothe your sensitized scalp and skin, we have chemical-free and unscented products
for your needs, and it is highly recommended that you use them consistently for optimal effectiveness.
You may want to visit transitions studio to:
- Make any adjustments to your prosthesis
- Receive complementary education on skin and makeup through a personal consultation
- Learn proper makeup techniques to enhance and soften your look during treatments
- Learn about nutritional products that will help to support your immune system
- Explore our unique inspirational gifts to help you throughout your journey
Your treatments are completed
You will begin to see new hair growth approximately 2 months after the last treatment. Hair usually grows at an average rate of 6 mm (1/4") per month.
60 days after the end of your treatment you will:
- Require a scalp treatment that will soothe irritation and encourage optimal hair regrowth
- Learn how to maintain, protect, and care for your scalp in order to encourage healthy hair regrowth
- Receive a hair analysis to find out when it is safe for you to resume your normal hair services such as colouring, highlights and styling.